11/11/18- I came in on Sunday so that I could spend some time taking out the dead fish, as everyone noticed that there was a cluster of non-moving fish at the bottom of the "bad" basket. Upon closer examination, however, they were all alive except for one!
I removed the fish from the original bag and put them into a temporary container so I could clean out the uneaten fish food from that was caught in the net.
I also did a retest of the nitrates, since they were slowly climbing. I think adding some of the Special Blend on Friday helped along with cleaning out the original basket netting, because the reading today was just barely 10 ppm, instead of 10-20 ppm as on Friday.
Number = 411 live trout
11/13/18- Removed 1 dead fry. Did a retake of nitrate concentration and the result was 10 ppm. Now that the trout are starting to eat, I need to be careful with how much I feed them each day. If I feed them too much, the nitrate concentration will continue to climb, and the only way to significantly remove it is to do a partial water change.
Number = 410 live trout
11/14/18- Removed 1 dead fry.
Number = 409 live trout.
11/15/18- Removed 1 dead fry.
Number = 408 live trout.
11/16/18- I continue to feed the trout only a pinch of food, since they are so small.
WATER QUALITY UPDATE:
I cleaned the original basket (first picture on the left) by putting the fish in that basket into a cut gallon jug (second picture). This also allowed me to figure out if there were any dead fish. They were then put into the basket back in the tank. I put the frame on the inside of the basket now that I didn't need to worry about eggs getting caught in the frame (third picture).
The picture below shows the problem with the original basket, in that some fish get caught between the frame and the net.